The Village of Athens sits on the west bank of the Hudson River, four miles north of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge in Greene County. First settled in the late 17th century, the village, a port on the Hudson-Athens Ferry, became a thriving hub for shipbuilding, brick making and ice harvesting.
After the bridge went up in 1935, the need for the ferry was eliminated and it closed in 1947. Athens’ layout and architecture have remained essentially the same since its heyday in the late 19th century. It has more than 300 buildings on national and state historic registers and has the feel of a living museum of American architecture, with examples of many of the predominant styles of the 18th and 19th centuries, including Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Stick, Second Empire, Folk Victorian and Queen Anne.
The small and friendly community is made up of an eclectic group of artisans, business people, and families who all enjoy the beauty of this historic area and the essence of village life.
VILLAGE CODE AVAILABLE ONLINE